This is the song most couples already have in mind when they meet with us for the first time. I do not remember any couples we have DJ’ed for in recent memory who did not already have this picked out.
How Do We Pick The Right Song?
If for some reason you do not have this song chosen, here are some ideas on how to pick the right song for your first dance as Mr. and Mrs.
1. What song makes you get all teary-eyed or giddy about your relationship?
2. Are there any favorite movies you two have in common that have a soundtrack? (The movie Garden State has an AWESOME soundtrack, as do Sleepless in Seattle and 500 Days of Summer).
3. Do you two have any favorite bands in common? If so, search through the band’s discography and try to find a meaningful slow song that the two of you like.
4. What love songs were on the radio when the two of you started dating?
5. Keep in mind; the two of you have to be on board with the song 100%. Just because you love the song, does not mean your fiancée will too. You both have to be equally excited about this.
6. Don’t worry about whether the song is old, too obscure, or even if it may be cliché or “overdone” – if you two like it, go for it.
7. You may not remember the song your garter was removed to, or you may not remember what song played as your maid of honor and best man were introduced, but I can guarantee you’ll always remember your First Dance. Make it a good one!
When does the First Dance happen?
You have two options that are typical of every wedding we have done:
1. First Dance right after the introductions.
2. First Dance at the tail-end of dinner.
What are some examples?
In 2014, John Legend’s “All of Me” has been a hugely popular choice.
Here are some others that we’ve experienced with our couples throughout the years:
1. “I Could Not Ask for More” Edwin McCain
2. “The Luckiest” Ben Folds
3. “Steady as We Go” Dave Matthews Band
4. “At Last” Etta James
5. “Can’t Help Falling in Love” Ingrid Michaelson
6. “Then” Brad Paisley
7. “Wagon Wheel” Old Crow Medicine Show
8. “Flightless Bird, American Mouth” Iron & Wine
9. “First Day of My Life” Bright Eyes
10. “Make You Feel My Love” Adele / Josh Kelley version, too.
11. “Faithfully” Journey
12. “A Thousand Years” Christina Perri
13. “Wanted” Hunter Hayes
14. “Bless the Broken Road” Rascal Flatts
15. “Unforgettable” Nat King Cole
16. “Thank You” Led Zeppelin
17. “When I’m Sixty-Four” The Beatles
18. “Marry Me” Train
19. “Come Away With Me” Norah Jones
20. “You are the Best Thing” Ray LaMontagne
21. “You and I” Wilco
22. “This Will be Our Year” The Zombies
23. “I Won’t Give Up” Jason Mraz
24. “I Don’t Wanna Miss a Thing” Aerosmith
25. “Such Great Heights” Iron & Wine